It’s a place that can take you back in time where there is no rush in life, where people still sit and share a chat at 12pm, where bicycles are one of the main mode of communication even now. Pondicherry is placed on the east coast of India and has 4 beautiful beaches Promenade Beach, Auroville Beach, Serenity Beach and Paradise Beach.
It is a place to watch sunrise, relax, detox, read/write. Or put on your headphones, play your favourite playlist and roam around on the charming French quarter streets, because nobody cares.
Puducherry holds alot of history with Dutch, Portuguese, British and French colonialists, which makes it a contrast of different cultures and architect. There are a number of old and large churches in Puducherry, most of which were built in the 18th and 19th centuries. Puducherry is also known for its eateries that cover a wide variety of cuisines. The BEST, and I mean it when I say it, THE BEST SEA FOOD.
Puducherry is a weekend getaway destination for major cities around like Chennai. It has vast option of places to stay, eat and chill. I will share the places I visited on my weekend in Puducherry and few things I missed on but you must try to go for.
Where I stayed:
The Promenade, is located on the Promenade street which is like the Marine Drive of Mumbai. It has a seascape view so you can watch the sunrise every morning in the comfort of your bed. It has a touch of French architect and a small pool for leisure. The Hotel consists of 3 restaurants:
- BlueLine:The 24 hour restaurant, overlooking the sea, serves Indian, Oriental & Continental cuisine as lavish buffets or a la carte.
- Risque:Relaxed leather seating and contemporary music make this sea facing lounge bar a great place to laze. There is an amazing range of exotic cocktails, international wines, draught beer, mocktails and exclusive blends of coffee to serve your mood.
- Bay of Buddha,Lighthouse:Serves Pan-Asian cuisine paired with stunning ocean views and the town’s ancient (and now unused) lighthouse to give you a table setting that’s unforgettable. Open for dinner only.
Places to eat and chill:
- Baker Street: Bakery with flavoursome desserts, pain au chocolat, baguettes and quiches.
- Cafe des arts: Really really cool place to chill with very reasonably priced menu. Must try crepes and waffles.
- Le Dupleix: Candle light dinner kind of place with French vintage charm.
- La Villa: Garden sitting, serves exquisite fish
- Villa Shanti: For a North Indian lunch treat
- Cafe Xtasi and Tanto: PIZZAAAAAAA!!
- Wake Up Pondy Cycle Tour: Roam around on the streets on Pondicherry in hand-painted vintage bicycles, an initiative by Sita Culture Center http://www.pondicherry-arts.com/en/
- Water Sports and Scuba Divivng with Temple Adventures http://www.templeadventures.com